If you’re trying to optimize your content to rank well for keywords or phrases that are not competitive, then getting high Google placement should be pretty easy to do, just follow these steps:
Getting High Google Placement for non-competitive keywords
- Add your keywords in your URL (e.g., seomention.com/keyword1-keyword2/)
- Make sure your keywords are in your page title
- Add your keywords in you <h1> tag
- Add your keywords and phrases within your <body> tag
Believe it or not, adding keywords or phrases to your content page is not that obvious to most people. In fact, some time ago a friend of mine asked me why his page wasn’t ranking well for his name (which is pretty unique), and after I did a little research, it turned out that he didn’t even have his name anywhere on the page! Well, to be fair, his name was on the homepage; however, it was an image, and therefore Mr. Googlebot had no idea what the words were because it was a graphic. So, after the 4 easy steps mentioned above, he was ranking well for his name and now has a different perspective in writing content for his website.
Getting High Google Placement for competitive keywords
Now, if your keywords and phrases are in fact competitive, then you’re going to have to roll up your sleeves and get ready to write some good content. In addition, here are some extra steps to take for those competitive keywords:
- Again, try to add your keywords to your URL
- Write a descriptive <TITLE></TITLE> tag for your page that describes that page (no more than about 64 characters)
- Use an <h1> tag for a header on your page
- If you’re adding images, make sure to add a description to the ALT attribute within the image tag so Google knows what it is. Also, give that image’s name a meaningful name that describes it (e.g., keyword1–keyword2.jpg)
- Very important, your new page(s) should be unique and interesting. If you want to rank well for the phrase solar energy, then make your site the best resource about solar energy available
Are there any techniques that you use that seem to have success?
For more information on How to get your website ranked #1.